‘The Intelligent Instinct’ by Jane McAdam Freud
The Headstone Manor Museum in Harrow provides an intriguing venue for an exhibition of ‘Interruptive’ works (sub theme ‘The Intelligent Instinct’) by Jane McAdam Freud.
Artists have always sought to have their work located in public spaces… often this is achieved in a formal and detached way. The very process of making a work is occasionally driven by direct interaction with a (specific) environment or through transformative practices of 'displacement'. Here, Jane's exhibition of work, recalls the early ’readymades’ of Duchamp and Picasso, and Paolozzi’s ‘curating as artistic strategy’ - as manifested in the London Museum of Mankind’s 1986 exhibition ‘Lost Magic Kingdoms’ - where converging artistic ‘intervention’ and ‘place’ changed the landscape of our thinking.
In ‘The Intelligent Instinct’ McAdam Freud marries the two approaches of creating fantastical objects made from obscure (local) objet trouvé and relocates them alongside identified historical artefacts excavated from around the Manor Museum’s geographical site. Her playful pieces are anarchically positioned outside the glass cabinet traps of traditionally displayed objects, or placed behind temporarily covered recesses - without academia description or labelling.
“Art, like life is subject to interpretation, living, between the unknown and fantasy, where imagination is paramount. Through forms and images these unspoken languages, can be accessed through the instinctive unconscious.” J McAdam-Freud
‘The Intelligent Instinct’ by Jane McAdam Freud (RCA Society member) continues till 26 April 2020
Venue: The Headstone Manor Museum, Pinner View, Harrow, HA2 6PX
Opening Times: Thursdays till Sundays 10:00 am - 4:00 pm (please check museum’s website) https://headstonemanor.org
The historical ‘Headstone Manor and Museum’
The Grade one listed Manor House’ is located in Harrow, Middlesex. It was originally built in 1310 on ecclesastical land owned by the Wulfred - Archbishop of Canterbury in 825.
The Manor’s land and farm buildings remained the property of the Archbishops of Canterbury till it’s surrender to Henry VIII in 1546. It was then sold on to Edward North (a court favourite) and remained in private ownership for 400 years. During this time it was a working farm but having fell into a state of disrepair it was sold off in the 1930s and eventually bought for housing development by Hendon Rural District Council. Thankfully, after a public campaign, the unique historic buildings and moat was saved. Through receipt of Heritage Lottery funding it was transferred into a public museum and displays cultural, geological and historical artefacts from the surrounding area. In easy reach of London’s transport network (Harrow North) it’s a great place to take time out and visit.